The University of Puerto Rico in Ponce (UPRP) is the only four-year co-educational higher education undergraduate public institution in the coastal southern region. By implementing the proposed activities, UPRPRISE will advance UPRP mission and goals for fostering competitive research at this 100% Hispanic-serving
undergraduate institution. The research training activities contemplated in this proposal, will serve to build up intellectual and technical capacity that will create a pipeline of well-mind trained students that will succeed in achieving a BS in Biology and further in pursuing a Ph.D. in Biomedical Sciences. The specific aims of this project, are oriented towards student development, including sponsorship for summer research internships at research-intensive institutions, creation of a standardized verbal test course to improve GRE scores, conversational English novel practice strategies, promoting of responsible conduct in research, and community based learning. This project also endorses students’ interest in research topics by means of seminars workshops and conferences, and focus on increasing retention.
The UPR-PRISE project will improve research experiences required to initiate and promote interest in UPRP students towards competitive research. In addition, the organization and integration of the administrative component along with training of students, will assure the success of the program for increasing retention, graduation, and interest in graduate school.
- Paid undergraduate research during the academic year
- Paid summer research in Ponce area or other approved institutions
- Travel to conferences
- Graduate school application assistance
- Seminars, Workshops and Open Forums with research scientists, PI’s, Mentor, etc.
The RISE (Research Initiative for Scientific Enhancement) program supports student research activities at the Freshmen, sophomore, junior, and senior academic levels. Students receive financial benefits, as well as professional experience and training that will assist them in entering and succeeding in graduate school.
- Laboratory Research 10-12 hours/week per semester
- Funding for up to two(2) scientific conference participation
- Salary: $12.00 per hour
- Required Courses: 3 hours/week per semester
All RISE participants receive full funding to attend a scientific conference, annually. RISE will pay for airfare (roundtrip), accommodations (sharing, if possible will be required), conference registration, per diem (generally a flat rate $ 40/ day for food when it is not provided at conference) and other travel related to attending the conference.
- RISE Open Forum’s and Seminars
- Attend up to two(2) scientific conference per year
- Participation in Research Activities
- Communitty Based Service Activity
- 40 hours/ week for 8-10 weeks
- United States Mentor & Institution
- 40 hours/ week for 8-10 weeks
- Local Mentor & Institution
- 40 hours/ week for 2 weeks
- UPR-Ponce (local trainers)
Summer Research Internships 2013
Summer programs promoted by the University of Puerto Rico in Ponce RISE Program (PRISE) provide an opportunity to spend a summer working at research laboratories side-by-side with some of the leading scientists in the world in an environment devoted to biomedical research. If you desire to apply to an internship we can help. Please contact us to make an appointment (firstname.lastname@example.org).