Dr. Edu B. Suarez-Martinez, Program Director
- Pontifical Catholic University, Biology, B.S., 1999
- Ponce School of Medicine, Biomedical Sciences, Ph.D. 2004
- Santiago-Ortiz M, Muñoz-Forti K, Suarez Martinez EB, Godoy Muñoz L, K. Husain, and Hernandez Muñiz W. Effects of Antioxidant N-acetylcysteine Against Paraquat1Induced Oxidative Stress tissues of Mice. Int J Sci: Basic and Appl Res. 2016 26(1): 26-46
- Husain K, Suarez E, Isidro A, Hernandez W, Ferder L. Effect of paricalcitol and enalapril on renal inflammation/oxidative stress in atherosclerosis. World J Biol Chem. 2015 Aug 26;6(3):240-8. PubMed PMID:26322179; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4549765.
- Muñoz K, Slatopolsky E, Zhang S, Finch J, Liapis H, Delmez J, Ritter C, Ferder L, and Suárez E. Effects in renal and cardiac tissue from CKD rat model: antioxidant evaluation of treatment with the selective endothelin-receptor antagonist atrasentan and the combination of atrasentan with the vitamin D receptor activator (paricalcitol), and the angiotensin. FASEB J April 2014 28:404.4
- Suarez-Martinez, EB, Husain, K, Ferder, L. Adiponectin expression and cardioprotective role of the vitamin D receptor activator paricalcitol and angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor enalapril in ApoE-deficient mice. Therapeutic Advances in Cardiology. July 18, 2014. PMID: 25037058
- Suarez-Martinez EB, Perez CM, Cruz S, Khorsandi S, Chardon C, Ferder L. Importance of Vitamin D levels and Vitamin D status in Puerto Ricans. J Health Care for the Poor and Underserved. 2013 Nov. 24(4):38-47.
- Finch JL, Lee DH, Liapis H, Ritter C, Zhang S, Suarez E, Ferder L, Slatopolsky E. Phosphate restriction significantly reduces mortality in uremic rats with established vascular calcification. Kidney Int. 2013 Dec;84(6):1145-53.
- Castro M del R, Suarez E, Kraiselburd E, Isidro A, Paz J, Ferder L, Ayala-Torres S. Aging increases mitochondrial DNA damage and oxidative stress in liver of rhesus monkeys. Exp Gerontol. 2012 Jan;47(1):29-37.
- Finch JL, Suarez EB, Husain K, Ferder L, Cardema MC, Glenn DJ, Gardner DG, Liapis H, Slatopolsky E. Effect of combining an ACE inhibitor and a VDR activator on glomerulosclerosis, proteinuria, and renal oxidative stress in uremic rats. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2012 Jan 1;302(1):F141-9.
- Husain K, Suarez E, Isidro A, Ferder L. Effects of paricalcitol and enalapril on atherosclerotic injury in mouse aortas. Am J Nephrol. 2010;32(4):296-304.
Wendy I. Pacheco Rodriguez, PRISE Program Coordinator, has over 10 years of experience working with students and faculty in graduate and undergraduate institutions in Puerto Rico and abroad. Most recently she helped manage the NIH-NIGMS RISE program for the Biomedical Sciences Ph.D. program at Ponce Health Sciences University from 2008 to 2015. Wendy began studies at UPR Ponce and earned a B.Sc. degree in business management with a specialty in human resources from the University of Maryland University College. In addition to spending time with her 10-year old son, Wendy enjoys CrossFit, the beach, Netflix and coffee.
Geraline Trossi Torres, PRISE Research Coordinator, Geraline is responsible for training new students in basic laboratory techniques and overseeing ongoing research projects at the J-2 research lab. She holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology specialized in Biotechnology from the University of Puerto Rico Ponce and a Master of Science in Biotechnology from the Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico in Ponce. Her area of research was focused on determining the effects of calcium sulfide nanocluster in pancreatic cancer. In her free time, Geraline enjoys reading fantasy/fiction novels, drawing, photography, and watching Netflix.
Edward Gracia Febles, PRISE Webmaster. He has over 18 years of experience in information technology at UPR Ponce working with computer repair, servers, network, and voice and data infrastructure. Edward holds a Bachelor’s degree in Administration with a major in Computer Sciences as well as industry recognized certifications from Microsoft (MTA and MCP) and CompTIA (A+, Network +). When not on campus, Edward likes going to the movies and spending time with his wife and two kids.