Dr. Edu B. Suarez-Martinez, Program Director
- Pontifical Catholic University, Biology, B.S., 1999
- Ponce School of Medicine, Biomedical Sciences, Ph.D. 2004
- Santiago-Ortiz M, Muñoz-Forti K, Suarez Martinez EB, Godoy Muñoz L, K. Husain, and Hernandez Muñiz W. Effects of Antioxidant N-acetylcysteine Against Paraquat1Induced Oxidative Stress tissues of Mice. Int J Sci: Basic and Appl Res. 2016 26(1): 26-46
- Husain K, Suarez E, Isidro A, Hernandez W, Ferder L. Effect of paricalcitol and enalapril on renal inflammation/oxidative stress in atherosclerosis. World J Biol Chem. 2015 Aug 26;6(3):240-8. PubMed PMID:26322179; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4549765.
- Muñoz K, Slatopolsky E, Zhang S, Finch J, Liapis H, Delmez J, Ritter C, Ferder L, and Suárez E. Effects in renal and cardiac tissue from CKD rat model: antioxidant evaluation of treatment with the selective endothelin-receptor antagonist atrasentan and the combination of atrasentan with the vitamin D receptor activator (paricalcitol), and the angiotensin. FASEB J April 2014 28:404.4
- Suarez-Martinez, EB, Husain, K, Ferder, L. Adiponectin expression and cardioprotective role of the vitamin D receptor activator paricalcitol and angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor enalapril in ApoE-deficient mice. Therapeutic Advances in Cardiology. July 18, 2014. PMID: 25037058
- Suarez-Martinez EB, Perez CM, Cruz S, Khorsandi S, Chardon C, Ferder L. Importance of Vitamin D levels and Vitamin D status in Puerto Ricans. J Health Care for the Poor and Underserved. 2013 Nov. 24(4):38-47.
- Finch JL, Lee DH, Liapis H, Ritter C, Zhang S, Suarez E, Ferder L, Slatopolsky E. Phosphate restriction significantly reduces mortality in uremic rats with established vascular calcification. Kidney Int. 2013 Dec;84(6):1145-53.
- Castro M del R, Suarez E, Kraiselburd E, Isidro A, Paz J, Ferder L, Ayala-Torres S. Aging increases mitochondrial DNA damage and oxidative stress in liver of rhesus monkeys. Exp Gerontol. 2012 Jan;47(1):29-37.
- Finch JL, Suarez EB, Husain K, Ferder L, Cardema MC, Glenn DJ, Gardner DG, Liapis H, Slatopolsky E. Effect of combining an ACE inhibitor and a VDR activator on glomerulosclerosis, proteinuria, and renal oxidative stress in uremic rats. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2012 Jan 1;302(1):F141-9.
- Husain K, Suarez E, Isidro A, Ferder L. Effects of paricalcitol and enalapril on atherosclerotic injury in mouse aortas. Am J Nephrol. 2010;32(4):296-304.
Geraline Trossi Torres, PRISE Program Coordinator, is responsible for the management of the NIH-NIGMS RISE Program at the UPR-Ponce. Geraline studied at the UPR-Ponce and obtained a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology specialized in Biotechnology. In 2018, she obtained her Master of Science in Biotechnology from the Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico in Ponce. Her area of research was focused on determining the effects of calcium sulfide nanocluster in pancreatic cancer. In her free time, Geraline enjoys reading fantasy/fiction novels, drawing, photography, and watching Netflix.
Luis E. Morales Perez, PRISE Research Coordinator, Luis is responsible for overseeing ongoing research projects at the J-2 research lab, as well as training new students in basic laboratory techniques. He holds a Bachelor’s degree in Biology, specialized in Biomedical Sciences from the University of Puerto Rico at Ponce. His area of research was focused on the In vitro effects of resveratrol in human breast cell lines. In his free time, Luis enjoys playing vintage video games, keeps up with the latest in internet pop culture, reads research papers for personal gain, and watches a reasonable amount Netflix.
Edward Gracia Febles, PRISE Webmaster. He has over 19 years of experience in information technology at UPR Ponce working with computer repair, servers, network, and voice and data infrastructure. Edward holds a Bachelor’s degree in Administration with a major in Computer Sciences as well as industry recognized certifications from Microsoft (MTA and MCP) and CompTIA (A+, Network +). When not on campus, Edward likes going to the movies and spending time with his wife and two kids.