Dr. Edu B. Suarez-Martinez, Program Director
- Pontifical Catholic University, Biology, B.S., 1999
- Ponce School of Medicine, Biomedical Sciences, Ph.D. 2004
- Ocasio-Rivera M, Marin-Maldonado F, Trossi-Torres G, Ortiz-Rosado A, Rodríguez-Irizarry V, Rodriguez-Lopez E, Martínez S, Almodóvar S, Suarez-Martínez E. Targeting of protease activator receptor-2 (PAR-2) antagonist FSLLRY-NH2 as an asthma adjuvant therapy. Medicine (Baltimore). 2020 Oct 23;99(43):e22351. doi: 10.1097/MD.0000000000022351.
- Inevy Seguinot-Tarafa 1, Nuria Luna 2, Edu Suarez 1 3, Caroline B Appleyard 1, Idhaliz Flores 4 5. Inhibition of Histone Methyltransferase EZH2 Suppresses Endometriotic Vesicle Development in a Rat Model of Endometriosis. Reprod Sci. 2020;27(9):1812-1820. doi:10.1007/s43032-020-00257-9.
- Sharilyn Almodovar 1 2, Brandy E Wade 3, Kristi M Porter 3 4, Justin M Smith 5, Robert A Lopez-Astacio 5 6, Kaiser Bijli 3 4, Bum-Yong Kang 3 4, Sushma K Cribbs 3 4, David M Guidot 3 4, Deborah Molehin 7, Bryan K McNair 8, Laura Pumarejo-Gomez 5, Jaritza Perez Hernandez 5, Ethan A Salazar 7, Edgar G Martinez 7, Laurence Huang 9, Cari F Kessing 3 4, Edu B Suarez-Martinez 6, Kevin Pruitt 7, Priscilla Y Hsue 9, William R Tyor 4 10, Sonia C Flores 5, Roy L Sutliff 3 4 . HIV X4 Variants Increase Arachidonate 5-Lipoxygenase in the Pulmonary Microenvironment and are associated with Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. Sci Rep. 2020;10(1):11696. doi:10.1038/s41598-020-68060-9
- Santiago-Ortiz M, Muñoz-Forti K, Suarez Martinez EB, Godoy Muñoz L, K. Husain, and Hernandez Muñiz W. Effects of Antioxidant N-acetylcysteine Against Paraquat1Induced Oxidative Stress tissues of Mice. Int J Sci: Basic and Appl Res. 2016 26(1): 26-46
- Husain K, Suarez E, Isidro A, Hernandez W, Ferder L. Effect of paricalcitol and enalapril on renal inflammation/oxidative stress in atherosclerosis. World J Biol Chem. 2015 Aug 26;6(3):240-8. PubMed PMID:26322179; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4549765.
- Muñoz K, Slatopolsky E, Zhang S, Finch J, Liapis H, Delmez J, Ritter C, Ferder L, and Suárez E. Effects in renal and cardiac tissue from CKD rat model: antioxidant evaluation of treatment with the selective endothelin-receptor antagonist atrasentan and the combination of atrasentan with the vitamin D receptor activator (paricalcitol), and the angiotensin. FASEB J April 2014 28:404.4
- Suarez-Martinez, EB, Husain, K, Ferder, L. Adiponectin expression and cardioprotective role of the vitamin D receptor activator paricalcitol and angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor enalapril in ApoE-deficient mice. Therapeutic Advances in Cardiology. July 18, 2014. PMID: 25037058
- Suarez-Martinez EB, Perez CM, Cruz S, Khorsandi S, Chardon C, Ferder L. Importance of Vitamin D levels and Vitamin D status in Puerto Ricans. J Health Care for the Poor and Underserved. 2013 Nov. 24(4):38-47.
- Finch JL, Lee DH, Liapis H, Ritter C, Zhang S, Suarez E, Ferder L, Slatopolsky E. Phosphate restriction significantly reduces mortality in uremic rats with established vascular calcification. Kidney Int. 2013 Dec;84(6):1145-53.
- Castro M del R, Suarez E, Kraiselburd E, Isidro A, Paz J, Ferder L, Ayala-Torres S. Aging increases mitochondrial DNA damage and oxidative stress in liver of rhesus monkeys. Exp Gerontol. 2012 Jan;47(1):29-37.
- Finch JL, Suarez EB, Husain K, Ferder L, Cardema MC, Glenn DJ, Gardner DG, Liapis H, Slatopolsky E. Effect of combining an ACE inhibitor and a VDR activator on glomerulosclerosis, proteinuria, and renal oxidative stress in uremic rats. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2012 Jan 1;302(1):F141-9.
- Husain K, Suarez E, Isidro A, Ferder L. Effects of paricalcitol and enalapril on atherosclerotic injury in mouse aortas. Am J Nephrol. 2010;32(4):296-304.
Delia Esther Martínez Morales, Last November, Delia joined to UPR-PRISE team. Her responsibilities consist in entering applications to obtain equipment and collaborating with the coordinator to provide support in the fiscal institutional program processes. She has an Office Systems BA degree from UPR Ponce; a Business Education and Office Systems MA degree from Pontifical Catholic University at Ponce, and a Commercial Bakery and Pastry certification from Escuela Hotelera de San Juan. She has many hobbies, such as going shopping, enjoying internal tourism, listening to music and baking cookies or cakes. This position in the program brings her the opportunity for professional growth and promotes diversity in the workplace. Also brings the opportunity to contribute in achieving the Program goals.
Mary Angelli Franceschi, Scientific Research Technician. Mary is our new Scientific Research Technician for UPR-PRISE team. She holds a Bachelor Degree in Biology from University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez and a Master’s in Biotechnology from Pontifical Catholic University at Ponce. Her professional background is in agricultural biotechnology. Mary, is a really empathetic and caring person who sees research as a way of helping improve people’s health and life quality. In her free time, she likes to do tourism, travel, and spend time with her family. For her, PRISE represents an opportunity to be part in the development of undergraduate students and to grow in the biomedical research area.
Edward Gracia Febles, PRISE Webmaster. He has over 20 years of experience in information technology at UPR Ponce working with computer repair, servers, network, and voice and data infrastructure. Edward holds a Bachelor’s degree in Administration with a major in Computer Sciences as well as industry recognized certifications from Microsoft (MTA and MCP) and CompTIA (A+, Network +). When not on campus, Edward likes going to the movies and spending time with his wife and two kids.